Monday, January 25, 2010

Letter to a friend...

A "friend of mine" posted the following on facebook, and this was my response:

IT'S A SHAME THAT SOME PEOPLE LIVE FOR YEARS AND NEVER ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING BUT ALWAYS SAY PEOPLE MISTREAT THEM ,GET UP AND DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF STOP LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO DO FOR YOU WHEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS WANT SOMETHING OUT OF LIFE FOR YOU. IF YOU ARE OVER 40 AND STILL HAS NOTHING SOMETHING IS WRONG SO FRIENDS PLEASE CHECK YOURSELF AND GET YOUR OWN!!!!!

I am truly sorry that I had to work and was unable to attend this weekend. I sincerely don't think that it was and I hope that your post was not directed to me, but I must tell you I took a little offense because it very well COULD have been me that you were describing. Because of a combination of my own mistakes (of which I wouldn't change because I learned some wonderful life lessons and they made me the woman I am today) and because of some unfortunate life circumstances, I am 45 years old and depending on how you describe SUCCESS I don't have a pot to pee-pee in. I have a broken down 1995 Saturn that is on it's last leg, I work as a shift supervisor at IHOP and rent a room from a lovely elderly couple in Martinez. However, I am rich beyond belief with love from my family, and friends. I have learned that "money" and the love thereof doesn't define you or make you happy. There are much more important things in life. I have struggled just to stay alive these past few years, there were nights I went to bed crying because I had no clue how I would pay my rent or where my next meal would come from. I was TOO proud to be "government funded" and had too much CLASS to depend on a MAN (nothing better than being legal prostitution) for these things. Were it not but for the grace of GOD and a few good loving friends HE sent me to help me, I would probably be sleeping in the streets right now. But that being said...from the viewpoint of others it may seem that I am one of those LOSERS you talk of, but I am proud of the accomplishments I have made as small as they may seem. And although I don't own a big fancy house, a new car or a career any longer, you can't take those things with you when you go. I can rest with ease at night though knowing that the things I HAVE will carry on long after I leave this world.


Tina, I don't know who upset you or who hurt you...but I hope that you will take a step back back and think about what you said. Not everyone who is worth a crap has those things. There ARE even those who YOU would define as SUCCESSFUL, that I would not pee on if they were on fire, because money and success have turned them into cold, cruel, gossiping, deceitful, unloving, and in my opinion sorry excuses for human beings. Part of my life lesson was learning that so many people from all walks of life have so much to offer the world even if they don't have a dime to their name. I had to learn true honest to God "humility", and it wasn't easy to swallow. Define people by their character, not their social class.

I hope this doesn't make you angry, it wasn't meant to. It was only meant to share some insight from someone who has been there, done that and couldn't afford the T-shirt.

I love you girl, and I hope whomever hurt you will apologize. But I had to tell you where I stand on this...No, "Amen!" from the back pew here, what you wrote 'sounded' mean. I know you better than that.



Love you,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment